We took a long hard look at all of the vaporizers out there for under $100 and after some deliberation and testing, have come up with a list of the best dry herb vaporizer 2022 under $100 as well as a comprehensive guide on what to look for.
The Xman Starry V3
Since it was founded not a full decade ago, X-Vape has already obtained renown as a producer of top-quality vaporizers available at a great price. The original Starry was placed on the market years ago but still holds one of the top spots as the best Vaporizer and dry herb vapes for under $100. The third and most recent iteration is the V3 which provides improved vapor production, magnetic zirconia mouthpiece, and haptic feedback.
But there are other notable products available from ARIA including dry herb vaporizers and the equally impressive Vista Mini 1, which is a small, portable dab rig that runs on electric power.
Design & Features:
At a mere 4” in height, the Starry is a portable-sized item that can easily fit in the pocket or purse. It is box-shaped and enclosed in a quality aluminum body which gives it a sturdy and durable feel. Unlike most other vapes of its size, this vape unit feels especially well made and invokes confidence in its use.
Starry is equipped with an improved ceramic zirconia mouthpiece which can swivel in and out for convenient storage.
The mouthpiece itself is magnetic and sits solidly in its connection. The magnetic hold is strong and you can confidently place the vape in your pocket or purse without fearing that your precious herb will spill all over the place.
The ceramic heating oven is of equally impressive design and has a 0.3g capacity. It also features an intelligent funnel top that makes the herb easier to load into the chamber.
The oven is heated through conduction, which I have found to be the best option as far as efficiency goes. The loaded herb was thoroughly spent after I had finished vaping.
Precise temperature reading and control are another impressive part of the design. With a temperature range of between 212°F and 464°F, you can easily find the perfect temperature for your product.
The digital screen will show the target temperature, the current temperature, and the level of battery life that remains.
The starry is powered by a single removable 18650 battery that you won’t find in other vaporizers commonly promoted. This battery is also considered an improved convenience. When you no longer have a charge in one battery, you can simply swap it out for a full battery as opposed to sitting around and waiting for a full charge.
Better still, if something does go wrong with the battery, you can simply pull it out and replace it with a new battery. This is not such an easy process with those vape units that come with an integrated battery system. A replaceable battery greatly increases the longevity of the vape unit.
Performance & Vapor Quality
Starry is a smaller vape unit and therefore the heat doesn’t have so much room to dissipate during use. The unit can get pretty hot when used at optimal levels and the mouthpiece can get especially warm.
Haptic feedback is one of the special features included in this design and allows you to see at a glance the temperature of your vaporizer. This is only available on the 3rd iteration and is a fairly uncommon feature in modern vapes.
The heat-up time is 35 seconds, placing it in the upper echelons of the vaping market.
Considering the competitive pricing, Starry is a surprisingly good vape and produces those billowing clouds and terrific flavor true herb connoisseurs will love. But the quality of the vapor is not quite as high as you might find in other items on the market like the Crafty+ or the Mighty.
I recommend using this unit at a temp range between, 370°F and 390°F. Avoiding the highest temperature ranges will improve your vaping experience and the longevity of your unit and battery pack.
On a full charge, you can expect between 6 to 8 vaping sessions, depending on the exact temperature ranges you choose and your vaping styles. It takes about one hour and a half to reach a full charge and this is a bit long. But with two batteries, you can swap out the old for the new and charge the old battery while using the full battery.
All in all, the Xmax Starry offers good performance, and quality design at an affordable price. It even has certain features you will only find in top-tier vape units. If you are looking for a high-performance vape unit that provides an impressive experience, this may not be your first option. But if you are looking for a well-priced item to rely on as a backup or travel vape, you couldn’t hope for a better item
Other Notable Vapes for Under $100
Focus V Pro
The Focus V Pro vaporizer comes with a removable battery, a glass mouthpiece, precise temperature control, and a faux leather exterior. The faux leather exterior insulates the vaporizer from heat. It feels great to touch the device because of the faux leather. People love tube-shaped devices since they are small, portable, and comfortable to hold. It is not always easy to find a tubed-shaped device with a precise temperature. The Focus V Pro is a portable and tube-shaped device. And it comes with a removable battery.
The Utillian 420 comes with lots of features, which are usually found in expensive vaporizers, including airflow control, 6 temperature settings, a digital display, a ceramic chamber, and a glass mouthpiece. It is very rare to find a digital display on budget vaporizers. It is good to have a digital display on the Utillian 421. You can use the digital display to see the set temperature and the actual temperature and the battery life of your vaporizer. It is a useful feature to have on a budget vaporizer.
The Flowermate Slick is another tube-shaped vaporizer. It comes with multiple features, including a removable 18650 battery, 3 heat settings, and a glass mouthpiece. The magnetic cap of this vaporizer protects the mouthpiece. You can use a USB to charge your device. Many people love this vaporizer because of its removable battery. It is easy to swap batteries. However, you will need extra space to carry your 18650 batteries, especially if you are traveling.
Focus V Original
The Focus V Original vaporizer offers a wide range of vapor control because of the 6 temperature settings. It also features a removable 18650 battery and a glass mouthpiece. The glass mouthpiece offers good flavor. It is easy to change the batteries since they are removable. Do not ignore the Focus V original. It is the perfect vaporizer for people looking for a simple and tube-shaped vaporizer with a swappable battery. Choose the Focus V Pro if you are willing to spend more money on your vaporizer. However, if you do not want to spend more money on your vaporizer, choose the Focus V Original vaporizer.
What you Need to Know about Buying Vapes for Under $100
The Difference Between Vaping and Smoking
Dry herb vaporizers use convection/conduction heating to convert the herb’s properties (e.g., cannabinoids, terpenes, nicotine) into vapor, hence a consistent and cleaner vaping experience. Smoking, on the other hand, uses combustion to produce vapor and smoke. The combustion process triggers a number of reactions, sometimes producing additional harmful compounds in the process. Vaporizers heat the herbs by passing hot air over/into them to produce the desired vapor free of most compounds produced in combustion.
Vaping is thus more advantageous and beneficial than bongs or joints. In addition to this, vaping makes it possible for one to appreciate and enjoy the full flavor of their dry herb. Vaporizers also come in many sizes, ranging from small portable ones to larger desktop versions. Vaporizers are your go-to option if you want to enjoy your herb’s full benefits.
Although you might be tempted to use dry herb vapes that allow the use of concentrates and THC extracts, don’t. Using any of these extracts in your primary dry herb vape will only increase the risk of clogging, forcing you to clean it more often than necessary. Consider investing in separate wax vape pens designed to work with concentrates/extracts if need be.
Do I Have to Spend More?
If all you want is an excellent vaping experience and at an affordable cost, there’s no need to invest in extra vape pens. Simply look for a vape pen with the features you need and a small footprint.
A Little More Research Won’t Hurt.
While a little research may help you make a more informed decision on the type of dry herb vaporizer to use, you could still dive in and buy the most basic vaporizer on the market. You could also tinker around with the vaporizer to produce better quality vapor. Research is, however, a must if you prefer better performance and a personalized style. Proper knowledge of exactly what to look for in a vaporizer will come in handy here. Here are some of the factors to consider when shopping for a dry herb vaporizer.
- Ease of Use:A good vape pen should be easy to use. It should not only heat up fast and consistently but also be able to give feedback (haptic feedback) to alert you when it’s ready to vape. While it might seem unnecessary at first, haptic feedback is a must-have, even for basic portable vaporizers.
- Durability:You want to go for a vape pen that is both strong and durable. The last thing you want is for the vape pen to break when in your purse or bag. While a glass mouthpiece might seem classy, it is also a bit fragile. Vaporizers that can take a beating are the best in the long run.
- Portability: How/when will you be using your vaporizer. A portable vaporizer comes standard for anyone looking to use it outdoors on excursions or when taking a stroll downtown.
- Airflow: Most vaporizers are designed for a slow-steady draw. The restricted airflow allows them to perform optimally this way. If slow, gentle draws are your thing, these types of vapes will come in handy. You can also go for those with a broader airpath if your preferred style is long, strong, but fast draws.
- Temperature Control: Interestingly, dry herb vaporizers perform differently on/at different temperatures. Most of these come with a preset temperature setting, while some make it possible for one to customize their preferred temperature. Temperature control, however, depends on what experience you wish to have and the type of herb.
- The Type of Heater: Most vaporizers today use conduction or convection heating methods. The different heating elements/methods produce varying vapor quality, with conduction vaporizers considered the best for small/slow draws. Convection vaporizers are, however, designed for heavy hitters with a more potent punch and vapor quality. You could also find vaporizers offering both worlds (hybrid heating systems). Hybrid heating systems are a good option for newbie vapers but still sit well with seasoned vapers.
- Grinders: The type of grinder can make a difference in your vaping experience. While you’d have to try several grinders to find a sweet spot, experts recommend starting with a medium grind, then fine-tuning it to your preference.
- Heating Chamber: This is where the ground herbs will go. That said, the heating chamber needs to be made of materials that offer optimal performance without altering the herb’s composition. Some of the best materials for vaporizer heating chambers include stainless steel, aluminum, quartz, glass, and ceramic.
- Battery Life: This is one of the key features to consider when shopping for a portable vaporizer. How long the battery can last per charge will determine your vaping experience. Some vaporizers have capable batteries, while others may also have weak ones. Additional features like a variable shut-off timer can help improve battery life.
- Warranties: Some manufacturers offer warranties ranging from zero days to several years. This, of course, will depend on the build quality and price. Choose wisely.
- Can I Use One Oven for Multiple Sessions?
Yes and No. The oven in a regular vaporizer retains heat for some time, even after turning it off. Any herb left in the oven will continue ‘cooking’ before it cools off and almost always causes the herb to dry out, leaving you little to no flavor. On-demand vaporizers, on the other hand, make it possible for one to use one bowl for several sessions. One reason for this is that the bowl cools down almost instantly when the vaporizer is turned off. This preserves the herb’s potency and flavor.
- Do Dry Herb Vaporizers Smell Like Weed?
Yes. Although the vapor produced will smell like weed, it dissipates pretty fast and doesn’t stick on your clothes’ fibers and hairs. This is unlike smoking a joint, which leaves the weed odor for much longer. In other words, no one will be able to tell what you vaped after 5 minutes.
- Why Is It Hard to Find a Vaporizer on Amazon
It is against Amazon’s terms of service to sell vaporizers and related products. One reason for this is that marijuana remains federally banned even with many states having decriminalized or legalized its use. Some sellers might sneak vaporizers on Amazon but soon get their pages shut down when Amazon finds out. For the real deal, consider buying vaporizers from authorized resellers.
- Are Vaporizers Economical on Dry Herbs?
Vaporizers use up weed more efficiently compared to joints. With no combustion involved, you can be sure to extract most, if not all, the flavor and terpenes from your herb. The by-product of vaping can also be used for other applications too.
- Does Vaping Produce a Different Kind of High Compared to Smoking
Vaping produces a more potent and stronger kind of high, better than when you smoke. This is because the compounds (THC, CBD, and terpenes) are delivered unchanged to the bloodstream, hence a firmer but smoother punch. Vaping will thus produce a stronger punch per serving compared to smoking the same dose.
- Can I Use Different Herbs on My Dry Herb Vaporizer?
It wouldn’t be advisable to use anything other than the recommended herb. Although you could use other dry herbs on the vaporizer, there’s a significant risk of inhaling something harmful or even getting the vaporizer clogged.
- Is a Grinder Necessary?
A grinder is necessary when using a vaporizer. It helps increase the herb’s surface area for efficient vaporization while minimizing wastage. Ground dry herbs also produce a stronger punch and are more flavorful and potent than whole herbs.
- Where to Shop for Dry Herb Vaporizers?
Dry herb vaporizers are readily available in authorized physical smoke shops and online stores. The keyword here is to find an authorized reseller, not just anyone. Only authorized buyers can offer you warranties for the product and assure you of a high-quality product in the long run. Buying directly from the manufacturer’s website is another feasible option too. Be sure to confirm the product’s authenticity before making the final order.
Dry Herb Vaporizer User Guide
Dry herb vaporizers are quite simple and easy to use. This may also depend on how involved you wish to be with the vape. Here is a simple guide on how to use your vaporizer for the first time.
- Prepare/sort your herb
- Grind it to the preferred texture
- Load the ground herb on the vaporizer’s bowl/oven chamber
- Turn the vaporizer on, choose the preferred temperature, then wait for the “ready” haptic feedback (if any).
- End the session by turning the vaporizer off, wait for the bowl to cool, then clean it.
As mentioned before, the process is straightforward and easy to follow. Most manufacturers also provide guidelines for using their vaporizers for the best experience and performance. Read the fine print to learn more on this.
How Do Herb Vaporizers Work?
Dry herb vaporizers mainly consisted of the mouthpiece, the oven or coil (heating element), and the battery (power source). The battery provides the required energy for the oven/coils to heat up to the set temperature. Most vaporizers are optimized to heat up to around 390°F/190°C for the best performance.
The oven ‘bakes’ the dry herb causing molecules inside to vaporize. The vaporized contents are what reach your mouth and lungs when you take a draw from the mouthpiece. The heating chamber only vaporizes THC and other terpenes but doesn’t burn, eliminating the need for combustion to produce better results.