The CCC cited a 2021 Motion on Smoking and Well being (ASH) report, which examined vaping behaviours amongst youths within the UK, and located that an awesome majority (83%) of teenagers and pre-teens aged between 11 and 18, have by no means tried and even heard of e-cigarettes. This discovering has remained constant since 2017.
Furthermore, stated the ASH report, vaping was a lot much less frequent amongst youths who had by no means smoked, with a big majority of the identical age group being “never smokers”, at 94.1% and 87.9% having by no means vaped. Furthermore, 6.2% weren’t even conscious of vaping merchandise.
In its latest coverage be aware entitled “Age Restrictions of Vape Products”, as quoted by The Edge Markets, CCC really helpful the next laws :
- “Introduce smart regulations and enforce strict age restrictions on vaping devices and liquids at the points of sale
- Use modern age verification technology for online sales
- Learn from other industries such as alcohol and fireworks on how to improve compliance rates
- Retail and industry should be encouraged to be more proactive with the enforcement of rules
- Do not punish legal adult vapers for the lack of enforcement of age restrictions”
A coordinated method between lawmakers and trade is required
CCC managing director Fred Roeder stated that as a substitute of taking drastic measures reminiscent of banning vaping merchandise, which can solely drive customers to the black market, lawmakers ought to give attention to a extra coordinated method in partnership with the trade.
An instance of such an method, is AgeChecked, a UK-based secured on-line age verification system. This technique requests patrons’ full names, billing addresses, and dates of start on putting orders.
“We believe that the regulations with strict enforcement on no-sale to the underage marks the distinction between consenting adult consumers and those who have not reached the legal age to make these decisions,” stated Roeder. He highlighted how such an method has been confirmed profitable within the UK, including that lawmakers ought to observe this instance.
UK Office Survey Finds Most Vapers Are Bullied For Utilizing E-Cigs