One of the newest and most famous trends right now is vaping. Vaping is inhaling vapour exuded by an electronic cigarette. For cigarette smokers, this is a good alternative to reduce their nicotine ingestion as you can choose your desired nicotine level when purchasing e-juices.
A vape consists of three basic parts: a battery, an atomiser, and an e-liquid or juice. The battery will power the vape up. The atomiser turns the juice into vapour, which you will inhale. Meanwhile, your e-liquid is a mixture of water, flavouring, as well as your preferred level of nicotine. There are different types of juices to choose from. British made premium e-liquids and other e-liquids are some of the most popular types out there. Flavours may vary from fruity, pastry, to menthol. Some even taste and smell like candy! Likewise, with nicotine levels available at different percentages, you can decide how hard you can take a hit.
Types of Vape
There are different types of vapes, and you can choose anything that will go best with your preferences. They vary in size, and modifications can be made depending on your choice:
- Cig-A-Likes (First Generation). These are the original vapes and the very first ones released in the market. Cig-a-likes mimic the look and feel of regular cigarettes. You can easily find these in gas stations.
- Vape Pens (Second Generation). Vape pens are perfect for beginners. Unlike cig-a-likes, the flavours are more pronounced in vape pens, and they are much more durable too. They are also very handy and can easily be stored in your pocket.
- Mods (Third Generation). Mods are usually bigger compared to other vape types. Although they are still quite handy, they’re also a bit bulky because of their shape. However, mods can easily be customised to your liking.
- Pod Mods. Pod mods are the latest models and are usually smaller than mods. They are more similar to cig-a-likes and can be closely associated to smoking. You don’t need to press buttons as pod mods are draw activated.
Common Side Effects of Vaping
There have been a lot of studies that claim how vaping is much safer than cigarette smoking. While this is true, we cannot deny that there are still some downsides to vaping. The side effects come from the ingredients of heated e-juices, one of which is vegetable glycerin. While vegetable glycerin is safe to ingest, the process of heating it turns it into a different form which makes it unsafe to inhale. Common side effects are as follows:
- When you develop strong vaping habits, your ingestion becomes more frequent. The chemicals from the juice will cause irritants in your throat that can give you a coughing fit.
- Dry mouth and throat. If your juices contain a hit of nicotine, chances are, your mouth and throat will dry up. Nicotine causes a slower production of saliva.
- Shortness of breath. Inhaling more and more smoke or vapour will affect your airway and lungs, especially the alveoli within it.
- Mouth and throat irritation. Aside from slower saliva production, nicotine also reduces blood flow. Likewise, reduced blood flow to your mouth will cause canker sores which are painful and irritating.
- It’s not just your mouth receiving reduced blood flow. It spreads out to other parts of your body too, including your brain. This is what causes headaches.
How to Reduce Vaping
- Why do you want to do it? Before making any decision, ask yourself why you want to do it. Are you noticing a possible addiction? Maybe you’re even starting to notice that your body’s slowing down. Identify the main reasons for this sudden call for change.
- Timing is everything. Most people vape because it calms them down. And if it’s ever the same for you, know when to start the process of backing away. Don’t do it when you are under a lot of stress, because it’s only getting worse.
- Know your triggers and find new hobbies. Just as mentioned, stress can trigger you to draw some flavoured air. At this time, you need to learn to explore new activities that can help calm you down. Considering possible withdrawal symptoms, it’s important to find new hobbies to keep your mind off things. You can also practice relaxation methods.
- Grab a helping hand. If you’re serious in reducing your vaping habits, chances are you need someone else to stop you from picking up your mod. Don’t hesitate to let a friend or family member know, because you can’t avoid future slip-ups. This way, someone you trust can continuously guide you in your journey.
It’s important to take care of your health. This is why it’s important to be aware of what you’re ingesting. Too much of everything is not good, so keeping everything balanced and taken in moderation is key to living a healthy and peaceful life.