“..the TGA has granted a legal permission which allows pharmacies and a pharmacy marketing groups to advertise (i.e. promote), through certain media, where to obtain nicotine e-cigarettes and liquid nicotine with a prescription”.
In 2020, Australia’s Federal Well being Minister Greg Hunt had introduced a brand new measure banning the importation of vape liquid containing nicotine. A variety of public well being consultants, tobacco hurt discount advocates and MPs, had spoken up in opposition to this measure, leading to it being placed on maintain.
Nevertheless earlier this 12 months the TGA introduced that the gross sales of the merchandise might be restricted to pharmacies through prescription “..the importation of nicotine e-cigarettes and liquid nicotine for vaping will require a doctor’s prescription. This aligns with current domestic restrictions under State and Territory law, that prohibit the supply of nicotine containing e-cigarettes in Australia without a valid medical prescription.”
Permission to make ‘restricted representations’ of vaping merchandise
In the meantime, the newest announcement grants pharmacists the permission to make ‘restricted representations’ of those merchandise. In a press release launched on Monday fifth July, the TGA stated “generally, it is not lawful to advertise prescription medicines. However, the TGA has granted a legal permission which allows pharmacies and a pharmacy marketing groups to advertise (i.e. promote), through certain media, where to obtain nicotine e-cigarettes and liquid nicotine with a prescription”.
“This means that patients who have been prescribed liquid nicotine for smoking cessation will know where they can fill prescriptions,” continued the assertion. “A pharmacy that dispenses nicotine e-cigarettes or liquid nicotine on prescription may, in specified circumstances, promote to those wishing to fill their prescription that it holds stock.”
Vape adverts steerage
An article on AJP summarized the TGA steerage as follows:
- use info to help the general public in acquiring nicotine vaping merchandise similar to:
- the placement at which the e-cigarettes or nicotine vaping merchandise can be found on prescription to help with smoking cessation
- the sorts of nicotine vaping merchandise which might be accessible, for instance nicotine vape liquids, nicotine e-liquids or units similar to e-cigarettes (together with e-cigarettes that resemble a flamable cigarette, one which makes use of pods or one other referred to as ‘mods’) – nonetheless be aware that no commerce names are allowed
- the concentrations accessible
- whether or not the nicotine resolution is in base or salt kind
Nevertheless, any promotion should not:
- be made utilizing radio or tv (together with streaming providers)
- be promoted on web sites or every other promoting that isn’t beneath the direct management of the pharmacy or pharmacy advertising group
- be promoted by social media influencers or model ambassadors
- be promoted by way of social media platforms utilizing paid promotion
- comprise pictorial representations of nicotine e-cigarettes or liquid nicotine
- comprise commerce names
- comprise references to flavours
- statements or the implication that vaping shouldn’t be dangerous or is much less dangerous than smoking
- comprise statements or the implication that the stocked e-cigarette is superior to a different
- embody incentives to encourage a person to take up nicotine e-cigarettes
Native group criticizes TGA for publishing record of licensed vape sellers
In the meantime, as if the present vape restrictions weren’t unhealthy sufficient at making vapes arduous to acquire as smoking cessation aids. The Australian Medical Affiliation (AMA) is now urging the Therapeutic Items Administration (TGA) to cease publishing particulars of authorised prescribers of the merchandise.
In a letter to the TGA, AMA President Dr. Omar Khorshid stated he’s deeply involved by the truth that the TGA would publish an inventory of authorised prescribers of nicotine vaping merchandise. He claims that these sellers “masquerade” themselves as smoking cessation providers, when in actual fact they do nothing greater than present quick access to the addictive merchandise.
In distinction, Australian Public well being skilled and tobacco hurt discount advocate Dr. Colin Mendelsohn has persistently highlighted that the restrictions in place might be detrimental to public well being. “Australia’s requirement for nicotine prescriptions is complex, expensive and unnecessary and makes it harder to access vaping products than cigarettes. Is that really what Greg Hunt wants?” he stated.
Australia Fines Vaping Advertisers and Importers